For years, this recipe has been a staple in the Zeiter Family to bake big batches of Meat Loaf and feed a crowd of hungry eaters! With the "hidden veggies" it also became a prime way to sneak in the greens without little meat lovers noticing 😉
INGREDIENTS FOR MEATLOAF
2 lbs FFF grass-fed ground beef
2 large carrot finely chopped
1 large zucchini finely chopped
1 large onion finely chopped
3 large cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
3 T ketchup, 1 T worcestershire sauce
2 t salt, 1 t pepper, 1 T italian seasoning
Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
INGREDIENTS FOR GLAZE
1 cup ketchup
1 T white vinegar
2 T brown sugar
1 t garlic and onion powder
1/2 t ground black pepper and salt
1 T tabasco
**Pre-heat oven to 375˚F
1. Saute carrot, zucchini, onion, and garlic in a little bit of olive oil until soft, set aside to cool.
2. Mix together remaining ingredients (besides parsley) until well-combined, then mix in cooled veggies.
3. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and add meat, gently pressing down to shape evenly - bake meatloaf for 40 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients together for the sauce. Spread the sauce over meatloaf then return to oven and bake additional 15-20 minutes.
5. Rest meatloaf 10 minutes before slicing. Drizzle with baking juices from the pan.
1. It's easiest to chop the carrot, onion, and zucchini in a food processor to get it as small as possible.
2. Feel free to make it as spicy or mild as desired with tabasco in glaze.
3. We love meatloaf best with buttered peas and carrots or some other kind of green vegetable.
4. Add a bit of pureéd onion to the mashed potatoes for extra flavor - we also love to use plain greek yogurt instead of sourcream.