Pot Roast Recipe
3 lbs FFF Chuck Roast (or roast of your choice)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
2 whole onions, peeled and halved
6 to 8 whole carrots, unpeeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 cup red wine, optional
3 cups beef broth
2 or 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 or 3 sprigs fresh thyme
FFF COOKING SUGGESTIONS FOR ANY BEEF ROAST:
1. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
2. Generously salt and pepper the chuck roast.
3. Heat the olive oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the halved onions to the pot, browning them on both sides. Remove the onions to a plate.
4. Throw the carrots into the same pot and toss them around a bit until slightly browned, about a minute or so. Reserve the carrots with the onions.
5. If needed, add a bit more olive oil to the pot. Place the meat in the pot and sear it for about a minute on all sides until it is nice and brown all over. Remove the roast to a plate.
6. With the burner still on high, use either red wine or beef broth (about 1 cup) to deglaze the pot, scraping the bottom with a whisk. Place the roast back into the pot and add enough beef stock to cover the meat halfway.
7. Add in the onions and the carrots, along with the fresh herbs.
8. Put the lid on, then roast for 3 hours (depending on roast size). The roast is ready when it's fall-apart tender.